Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

Navigating a course to justice

Schedule a Free
Miami Maritime & Boat Injury Lawyer > Video FAQS > What are my rights if I am injured on a foreign flagged vessel?

What are my rights if I am injured on a foreign flagged vessel?

Video Transcription: 

If you’re a passenger on a cruise ship, and almost all of, as a matter of fact, other than the Hawaiian cruise line, all of the cruise lines sailing out of the United States are foreign flagged vessels. If the cruise started or ends in the United States, you’ll have received the ticket contract which will set forth which law will apply. And it’s generally the general maritime law of the United States.

If you’re a crew member serving aboard a foreign flagged vessel, there will be what is known as a choice of law test where we will look at the context that you, the ship, and the shipowner and or employer have with the United States. And if the shipowner is based in the United States, odds are that the Jones Act and the general maritime law of unseaworthiness and maintenance and cure will apply to your claim.

Share This Page:
  • American Association for Justice
  • Florida Justice Association
  • Bar Register Preeminent Lawyers
  • American Association for Justice

It's Your Time To Win

Contact the Law Offices of Michael F. Guilford, P.A. for a free initial consultation with Michael Guilford. Flexible appointment times are available. If you can't come to us, we will come to you. Call toll free 866-473-2636 or describe your injuries in an email.

I have read the disclaimer.

Captcha Image

Michael F. Guilford, P.A.

Courthouse Tower, Suite 750
44 West Flagler St.
Miami, FL 33130

Toll Free: 866-473-2636
Phone: 305-539-1999
Fax: 305-539-1998