Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu

If my cruise ship accident happened on a lake, what law will apply to my claim, state law or federal maritime law?

Video Transcription: 

That’s a very interesting question, and comes up quite a bit here in Florida. It will all depend on whether the lake is what’s known as a navigable waterway. A navigable waterway allows access to an ocean. If you are in a landlocked lake, then state law, not general maritime law will apply your cause of action. If you are on a waterway that has a connection with, or access to an open body of water, such as Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf of Mexico, or the Pacific Ocean, then your accident has occurred on navigable waters, and the general maritime law will apply.

Share This Page:

Contact the Law Offices of Michael F. Guilford, P.A. for a free initial consultation with Michael Guilford. Flexible appointment times are available. If you can't come to us, we will come to you. Call toll free 866-473-2636 or describe your injuries in an email.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation